10 reasons why I still like being married to Craig

Good morning!

Happy anniversary to me, happy anniversary to Craig, happy anniversary to both of uuuuuuuusssss, Happy anniversary to us.

It's our 25th wedding anniversary today.  I know. It's bloody unbelievable.

Who would have thought that over 25 years ago (actually, more like 29) when I met that skinny white boy in a nightclub in Blacktown (yes - Tiffany's!) that we would get married and still be together, heading into our 50's.

Let me set the scene for you. Me and my possie (sister, friends) got our glam on (probs Kylie Minogue style - rara skirts and crop tops AKA locomotive) and rocked up at the club (early, so we could dodge having to pay an entrance fee). We hung out looking hot and on trend. Then we seen some friends of my sisters. Life is always better with an even bigger possie so we joined up, and had the chat. We all wanted to dance (Oooohhhh I want to dance with somebody - Whitney Houston style), so I asked this guy if he wanted to get up and dance.

He said no.

He remembers this differently to me. He thought he was massively cool and was hanging out man-style with his mates and laughs about this. Me, I thought, Oh well, and just went and danced anyway...

Doesn't matter which way we remember it, the rest is history.

3 houses, 2 blocks of land, 14 (I think) cars, 1 dog and 2 kids later, this is our life.

I'm not even going to pretend married life is easy. It's not. If you think I print a lovely rosy coloured picture on my instagram and facebook pages, well it's just indicative of having a pretty good life.

Yes, we fight. And I yell at him. Sometimes he yells back. Sometimes even the kids yell. And we don't always have the right answers, and we have problems. But the main theme of the last 25 years is that we get over it, work on it, and decide how to keep going. We don't and haven't ever given up, even when things have been really hard for us in our life. Along the way there may have been a few glasses of drink thrown in a fit of temper, or things flung around randomly (aiming for a total MOD) but doesn't matter in the scheme of things as long as you can get over it.

I think we have a pretty good life. Craig is a good husband, dad and work colleague for his mates. We've got 2 kids we love heaps, and we get to do lots of fun things together. I feel lucky, and very fortunate that we worked so well together as a team to be able to create this.

I thought this would be a good time to tell you about the reasons why I think it's good to be married to Craig, and nice for him to get a reminder of why we are still married. So here goes.

1. He's a bloody hard worker
Even though he still hasn't cleaned up the back verandah, and thinks that every clean space is an opportunity to put his junk on, he works hard at home and at work.

2. He's a good mate
When you are in with Craig, you are in. He looks after his mates and would do anything for them. He is very loyal.

3. He is fun
Craig is the class clown, and if you think you have heard every single dad joke, guess again. He probably knows another one. Me and the kids are so sick of hearing them - please bring us some new material!

4. He is a pushover
Ask his daughter about this one. She has him wrapped around her little finger... If he thinks he is needed and can help, he will always be a sucker for saying yes. It's a nice way to be I think.

5. He's a great dad
He does different things with both the kids, and I will never forget his patience teaching Bethany how to drive. Plus the blokey stuff he does with Ben. Yes, he yells at them but I know he would do anything for them.

6. He loves his work
He's a great role model to the kids about working hard and doing what you love. He treats his work colleagues as part of his extended family and cares very much about what he does. I'm so glad he had the courage to go after it because it was the turn around point for him in his life. Really good move.

7. He brings me back in line
I don't really like to give him much in this regard, but when I'm being a sook he always tells me to knock it off. And sometimes I need that. Because I deep down know I'm being a bit of a diva...

8. He remembers the big stuff
He might not remember mothers day, valentines day, my birthday or any other occasion on a regular basis, but when he does he brings out the big guns. He buys the best presents ever. Love them. Plus he supports my cruise addiction. What can I say.

9. He is a great support
He is a massive support for me. When I have hard decisions to make, like leaving work this year, he listens, gives me advise and then tells me to go for it. I love that.

10. He loves to try new things
I know I whinge about all the boys toys (ggrrrrr) but you know - good on him for giving lots of new things a red hot go. Says a lot about his confidence and willingness to try new things. I like it.

So there you have it. I still love you Craigie Boy - and I'm glad we got married all those years ago. It was the best day of my life, and I'm really proud of both of us for what we have created together.

I can't wait for the next challenge - getting rid of the kids and travelling. It's going to be a lot of fun.

Happy anniversary babe. Love Laurel xx

PS - you know you get more time for murder...


Comments

Popular Posts