A momentous occasion - Happy Birthday Sweet 16

I had to brace myself by having a bex and a cup of tea before writing this.

Tomorrow my baby will be turning 16. What the! When did that happen?!

16 years ago I was (finally) giving birth to my first born after 42 long weeks filled with vomiting, swollen feet and carpal tunnel alongside full time work. But it was worth it all to see my beautiful girl when she arrived. 

Bethany with Ben, aged around 3. She was always a beautiful little girl, very sweet natured.
And now, she is turning sweet 16. I say sweet, and I mean it. My sweet girl is the love of my life. She is my very favourite daughter and I consider her one of my best friends. I love her and lean on her when I need support (sometimes literally, I have bad knees you know) and even through the teenage angst of mouthiness, a disgustingly messy bedroom and horrible fights with her brother, I wouldn't swap her for anything.

But there are a couple of downsides to her turning 16.

1) She is growing up way too fast. I want her to be my baby forever!

2) She will be able to apply for her learners permit tomorrow. Watch out road users, I'm not sure all the lessons she has learnt in relation to road rage are necessarily good ones. But she WILL stay to the left unless overtaking.

3) She is another year closer to moving out in the world - what a scary thought. For me! Please live with Mummy forever, you can have your room rent free.

4) I am finding it increasingly harder to get people to believe I am in my late 30's. Damn you for growing-up-kids!

I love you baby, happy sweet 16 and have the most wonderful day. xxxx

Comments

Popular Posts